Dating from 1662 and constructed for the Howards, Trevenson House was originally known as Mansion House.
The property was enlarged and rebuilt in 1797 for Thomas Kivell, steward to Lord de Dunstanville of the Basset estate. When Thomas Kivell died in 1865 the stewardship and house passed to William Reynolds, the house was further improved at this time.
The building is constructed from Pink Tolgarrack stone with an ashlar façade and granite dressings. The roof is slate with a large parapet to the front and eaves cornice to the sides and rear. Internally it features an impressive Edwardian staircase with timber balustrade, a heavy moulded handrail ramped up to newels and with an arcaded screen on the extensive landing.
The site houses a large walled garden and a further garden to the side containing a small water feature.
The particulars for the sale of the house in 1884 give this description:
“The property is pleasantly situated in its own ground and approached by two carriage drives. The house contains a drawing room, dining room and library, communicating with conservatory and the usual domestic offices of a gentleman’s house – 11 bedrooms, dressing rooms and 2 WCs indoors. Good walled and kitchen garden, with a range of greenhouses and vineries. There is also stabling for horses, carriage and saddle rooms”.
Further remodelling occurred circa the early 20th century.
The house has had various uses in its history including being the local courthouse, being used as a school by an evacuated school from London, being home to 50 children from the Royal Female Orphanage, a home for Maladjusted Boys and a hostel for residential students to the Cornwall Technical College.
Trevenson House is a trading name of Trevenson Holdings Ltd. Company registered in England and Wales, company number 12440563.
Registered address Trevenson House, Church Road, Redruth, Cornwall, TR15 3PT